Tuesday 6 November 2012

Bend Frame construction




Began the mocking up my bend frame be grabbing a large piece of scrap wood from our shed, the remains of our basketball ring backboard. I marked out the inner dimensions from my construction drawings, in pencil (weirdly enough pink pencil showed up best).  After this I grabbed some pinewood for the frame, and cut down 8 pieces to fit the frame, after this I used a jigsaw to found off the edges, to approximately an 87mm radius.

Afterwards a discussion about the logistics’ of the bend I was trying to active with my father, we came to the realization (he flat out told me) that to do the bend correctly I would require the pipe to be wrap around the bending frame with overhang to allow for the material to warp and stretch but still have enough left over to comfortably form a solid shape.


I cut the backboard in down about ¾ of its length, then strengthen the last 1.4 with extra pipe wood drilled in place, this would allow me the flex the frame while bending the pipe, allowing the pipe to overlap (with some on the pipe overlapping above the frame, some bellow, insuring that I could cut the pipe down and have it meet in the middle with no gaps.


As a final touch I measure out the width of the plastic pipe (32mm) then screwed in support braces to minimise distortions like I had with my first being trial, namely plastic flattening out under the stress.






No comments:

Post a Comment