Monday 5 November 2012

Hot Sand Bending Trial

Hot sand bending

My first trial using the hot sand bending technique had mixed results, however I did learn quite a bit from it.

I stared by measuring out enough sand to fill the length of pipe I was using for my test then heated it in the oven to about 180 degrees; once it reached temperature I poured the sand into the pipe then and sealed off the open end. Due to the heat of the sand the pipe was beginning to warp while I carried it over to the crude framework I’d set up (a thick piece of card draped over two chairs and held on with masking tape). A number of things became apparent while and immediately after bending.  

Firstly bending the pipe in a vertical U formation like I originally planned will result in all the sand to shift away from the bend, weakening the joint.

Secondly internal heat makes the entire form distort, due to the way I was bending this resulted in a flattened top on my bend.

Thirdly to have any control over the form I’m making I will require a proper frame to bend around (my temporary frame didn’t survive after by first bend).




Creases in the plastic are quite pronounced.
















A sucessful curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment